Small (1″ wide) plastic spatula
Light coloured cloth
White scouring pad
Bucket of water
White vinegar (or alternatively, bleach)
Combine ¾ cup baking soda with ¼ cup white vinegar or bleach
Mix thoroughly until ingredients are blended completely into a paste
Note: the cleaner consisting of bleach is more potent than the white vinegar version, so take the following precautions:
- Work in a well-ventilated area with a ceiling fan or portable fan if available
- Wear safety glasses and gloves
- Wear clothing that you don’t mind doing household chores in as bleach can discolour fabric on contact
- With the plastic spatula, collect the cleaning paste and place it over the grout you wish to treat, spreading it evenly as you go. Move the excess paste along until it is finished and reload your spatula as required.
- Using a scrubbing brush, run along the grout joints to help the cleaning process.
- You should allow at least 15 minutes for the cleaner to activate before you start rinsing the grout. If you are cleaning the grout in a shower stall, the activation time will most likely be closer to 30 minutes.
- Half fill your bucket with water.
- Wet your sponge and wipe over a few of the grout joints and determine the desirability of the results. If you are happy, proceed to wash off all of the cleaning paste from the grout and tiles. If the grout still appears dirty, use the white scouring pad to further scrub the grout joints.
- When satisfied, rinse the tiles and grout joints with the sponge and clean water.
- Wipe down all the tiles with a towel and allow to dry.
Note: wet grout darkens a few shades so allow the grout to dry to see the full extent of your handywork.
It is advisable to seal the grout joints after treating as this will keep them clean longer.
If you don’t feel comfortable in doing this on your own, we can undertake to seal or even change the colour of your grout using an epoxy grout colourant and sealer. It is also very important to maintain the grout joints and silicone seals around the bathtub. If they are showing signs of wear or are failing, we can renew them for you. Contact us for a free estimate or to discuss a partial or full bathroom remodel.